What Are Essential Oils?
Essential oils have been used for thousands of years. Today, there are many essential oils in use by professional practitioners, each one with their own health benefits. But don’t feel overwhelmed! You certainly don’t need tons of essential oils in your medicine cabinet to reap their benefits. I’ll discuss a few of the most popular oils.
Sources of essential oils are the highly concentrated, aromatic essences of trees, shrubs, herbs, grasses, resins and flowers. Essential oils can be a vital component for every health journey.
Supplemental Tool to the Medicine Cabinet
Essential oils are an excellent way to improve your health naturally. Utilizing these oils is a good alternative to giving yourself and family members over-the-counter medications filled with artificial ingredients and preservatives. You can use essential oils as natural remedies to help beat colds, flu and other health issues.
Why I love Ecotherapeutics Essential Oils
Because I’m always searching for quality natural products, I am excited to bring attention to Ecotherapeutics Organic Essential Oils. Ecotherapeutics has only the purest and highest quality of certified organic essential oils. I highly recommend this brand of essential oils. Not only is the quality excellent, but they are certified organic which means their oils are “produced without the use of potentially harmful pesticides, herbicides, and sustainable, environmentally-friendly practices are used”. Not every EO company can make such claims. Please do not believe that all essential oils are created equal. Ecotherapeutics has only been around about 3 years. I’m just mad that I’m only just now learning of them!
Let me tell you why I’m loving these oils. Here’s a few reasons why I recommend Ecotherapeutics .
The essential oils are within most consumer’s budget. A lot of companies who offer pure and organic products tend to raise the costs. In fact, when I see the words “organic” and “pure” attached to a product, I automatically assume the product will be more expensive. Nope! No price hikes here! Their products are very reasonably priced. To be honest there are a few other essential oil companies that make me gawk at the price of oils, and they aren’t even organic. These essential oils are priced as if they aren’t even organic.
You want your oils to do something, not just smell nice. My experience with these oils left a great impression on me. I used the frankincense and will tell you how it went a little further in the post. If an oil is supposed to have a certain effect, well, you want it to do just that.
Ecotherapeutics are pure with no additives, tested by an independent organization to ensure their quality and purity. I like companies that are transparent and this company is.
The oils smell authentic like from a natural source. Believe me, after trying so many pure and synthetic essential oils, your nose starts to know the difference. Their oils are no adulterating-oils, which means they are not heated, mixed with anything else, or adulterated in any way.
I came home pretty tired and fatigued one evening. It had been a long day. I also was smack in the middle of a project where some problems had to be worked out. Really, I just wanted to call it an early night and go to bed. It was just “one of those days” where everything that could go wrong did. However, I had a great ideal. Why not use one of my handy essential oils. It was the perfect time! I decided on frankincense since that one can lift your mood and help you focus. I put the oil in my diffuser and laid down with the intent to just relax. Not only did it help me relax and quiet my mind, but I also got my focus back. I thought about the project I was working on and actually thought of a solution for the problem I was dealing with. Now don’t get me wrong. I’m in no way saying that the essential oil put solutions in my head. Ha! But what it did do was help me focus and uplift my mood enough to feel like I could tackle the problem again. As I laid there relaxing and thinking about the day, the solution just came out of nowhere. I think my mind was just too tired and my body too fatigued to realize it before. The frankincense allowed me to calm my mind and bring out in me what was already there. Essential Oils can help you physically and emotionally! Essential oils are enhancing and healing.
Essential Oils Uses
You should always keep these essential oil handy:
Tea tree oil, lemon, peppermint, lavender, and frankincense.
These staples can be used to:
- Fight cold and flu symptoms
- Heal skin conditions
- Alleviate pain
- Balance hormones
- Improve digestion
- Clean your home
- Making homemade personal care products
How to Use Essential Oils on Kids
- Inhalation – Place 2-3 drops of the oil in hands, rub together and cup over the nose and mouth to inhale for a few minutes.
- Diffuse – Add a few drops of oil and use in a cold-air diffuser (do not use a humidifier as the heat breaks down the oils and the oils can affect the humidifier equipment). Diffuse for 15-20 minutes or throughout the day as needed.
- Topical – Apply oils to the skin either neat (undiluted) or diluted. Usually 1 drop is enough. However, for babies and children diluting the essential oils with a carrier oil is advised – dilute most oils for infants and toddlers at 1 drop per Tbsp. of carrier oil or for older children 1:1 with a carrier oil. I find that some oils run “hot” on the skin, such as Thieves, and should definitely be used diluted.
- Massage – This is an excellent option to apply oils and promote bonding with kids. Use with a carrier oil to promote sleep, reduce fussiness, and improve mood.
I will not use essential oils on children 2 and younger at all. After that, still be careful as some EO’s still should not be used until children are older. I am just overly cautious. Some do use essential oils on babies and children.
If you are interested in using EO’s on babies and children join the Resource Library for free where you can download a free PDF guideline and list of EO’s deemed safe for children, how to use them, and the appropriate amounts to use.
- Naturally cleanses and purifies the air and surfaces
- Naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion.
- Lemon essential oil has a pleasant, purifying citrus scent that is revitalizing and uplifting
- Lemon is great for removing household stains, disinfecting countertops, and even refreshing your laundry
- Diffuse Lemon Oil to protect your home from airborne
- Promotes healthy immune function
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle with water and use on surfaces to protect against environmental threats
- Protects against environmental and seasonal threats
- For occasional skin irritations, apply one to two drops of tea tree essential oil to affected area
- Popular ingredient in shampoos, face washes, and laundry detergents
- Supports healthy digestion and respiratory health as well as offering relief from overall discomforts
- Commonly found in oral health products
- Promotes healthy respiratory function and clear breathing
- Helps reduce bloating and occasional indigestion
- For a morning energy boost, rub peppermint oil on your temples after you wake up
- Calms, Relaxes, and Provides a Refreshing Lavender Scent
- Helps to ease feelings of tension†
- Is widely used for its calming and relaxing attributes
- Lavender helps the body to relax and promotes restful sleep when rubbed on the bottoms of the feet, or inhaled at bedtime
- Can off relief to sore muscles and muscle spasms
- Add a few drops of lavender to pillows, bedding or bottoms of feet for a restful night’s sleep
- Apply frankincense to the bottoms of feet to promote feelings of relaxation and to balance mood
- Diffuse during yoga or meditation to focus your intention for the day
- Useful for visualizing, improving one’s spiritual connection, and centering
- Has comforting properties that help focus the mind and overcome stress
- To create an exotic scent in your home, combine frankincense and lemon in your diffuser
- Eliminates unwanted airborne germsFrankincense is also a valuable ingredient in skin care products for aging and dry skin, so add a few drops in your facial moisturizer
Here’s a good diffuser if you’re looking for one. It has everything needed to enjoy a great essential oil experience.
Always practice safety when giving essential oils to children. Some essential oils are not suitable for children. Please be sure to research before you do.